Health Benefits of Salmon
1. Eating salmon is beneficial in the treatment of osteoarthritis and other inflammatory joint conditions.
2. Eating salmon reduces risk of depression. The brain is 60 percent fat and most of that is the omega-3 fatty acid DHA, which is critical it is for brain function and a healthy nervous system.
3. Eating salmon increases your cardiovascular health. As noted, salmon contains high levels of the omega-3 fats, EPA and DHA. These fats are responsible for many cardiovascular benefits such as reducing inflammation
4. Salmon’s an excellent source of vitamin D. Sufficient vitamin D is crucial to maintaining optimal health. A deficiency of this essential vitamin has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and type-1 diabetes.
5. Salmon brings out the best in fresh greens. The proteins, B vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids in salmon complement the antioxidants and vitamin C in greens such as spinach and kale.
6. It can help prevent cell damage. Along with its many vitamins and high protein content, salmon is an excellent source of selenium, a mineral is that works as an antioxidant in the body. It is associated with decreased risk of joint inflammation, keeps the immune system and thyroid working well, and can help to keep tissues healthy by preventing cell damage.
Recipe – Salmon Courgetti
- Packet of spiralised courgetti
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 Salmon Fillet
- 1 tablespoon of pesto
- Oven-bake salmon fillet
- Heat oil and sauté garlic
- Add the spiralised courgette for 4 minutes.
- Add spoon of pesto to courgette
(**Optional – add spoon of crème fraiche for a creamy finish)