HAPPY NEW YEAR! A phrase we are all hearing plenty of now as we start into 2017. Wishes of happiness are abundant. So rather than worry about small insignificant things like putting on a couple of pounds over the Christmas, why not take these wishes literally. Focus on being happier within yourself, which in turn will promote happiness in others. Make a difference in the world, give kindness and love freely, and see how much happier you will be for it J
Tips on how you can make a difference in 2017!
- Be honest always. To yourself and to others.
- Be kind to everyone, no matter how much they piss you off!
- Practise Random Act of Kindness every now and again. This can be something as simple as letting somebody go before you in a queue, helping somebody with their bags, or buying someone coffee, bringing a homeless person some food etc.
- Hug people often. A hug is a great gesture of affection and love. If somebody is having a bad day, it is amazing the effects a hug can have!
- THE GLASS IS HALF FULL!! We as Irish, are known for sometimes being a little on the “glass half empty” side. For example, if you ask any Irish person how they are, do they ever say “I’m great!”? Rarely! It’s usually… “Ah I’m ok”, “I’m fine”, “I’m grand”. And we do like to have a good aul moan! Try and take a positive out of every situation and remember that there’s always somebody who is worse off than you.
- Tell people how you feel. Whether it’s somebody who has done something to upset you, or somebody who has made you feel great about yourself just by something they said, tell them! If somebody upsets you, often they don’t realise, while you keep it to yourself and let it fester inside. Tell them and have an honest conversation about it. Resolve the issue and move on. On the other hand, I think that it’s equally as important to tell people how great they are! Whether it’s a friend who has been really supportive to you, somebody who really inspires you, or somebody who made an impact on you in some way. Let them know 🙂
- Always be there for your nearest and dearest. Sometimes life gets in the way, but at the end of the day, what’s really important are the people who are closest to you. Make sure they know you are there if they need you, because you never really know what a person is going through.
- Do something that scares you. Whether it’s overcoming fears, going for that promotion at work you told yourself you weren’t good enough for, or undertaking a challenge that will test you both physically and mentally.
- Work Hard but play often! Worry less about what may or may not happen. Life is for living and we only get one chance at it. Don’t have any regrets.
- Help out as often as you can. Whether it’s with a charity, at home or at work. Offer a helping hand where needed. You never know when you may need to call on others for help yourself.