(Recipe from local Oranmore Food blogger, Cathal McBride – For other amazing easy to make recipes – check out his blog: http://www.aglassofredwine.com/)
• 1 large tub (500ml) of Low fat natural yoghurt or GO THE EXTRA MILE use 250ml low fat yoghurt and 250ml buttermilk
• 1 beaten egg (preferably free range or organic)
• 300g Porridge Oats
• 2 tsp Bread Soda
• ½ tsp salt or 1tsp sea salt flakes e.g. Maldon Salt
2 tbsp Mixed seeds (e.g. sunflower, pumpkin, sesame etc.)
• Preheat oven to 180C (Fan oven), 350F, Gas Mark 4
• Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line the base with backing parchment. Then grease the backing parchment.
• Whisk the beaten egg and yoghurt together in a bowl until combined
• In a separate bowl add the oats, bread soda, salt, and mixed seeds, if using. Add to the yoghurt and egg and stir until thoroughly combined. It is quite a wet mixture so don’t be concerned
• Add the mixture to the tin, sprinkle with mixed seeds and bake at 180C for 30 mins.
• Lower the temperature to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2 and bake for a further 30 mins.
• Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack to cool
GO THE EXTRA MILE
• Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out top down onto a wire cooling rack. Peel off the baking paper. Place the wire rack onto a baking tray and return to the oven. Turn the heat back up to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4. Bake for a further 10 minutes
• Remove from the oven, cover loosely in clean tea towel and let cool.